In case Stephen Greenhalgh’s blogspot disappears into the ether, here are some notes if you’re using Unetbootin and a USB key for DBAN in OS X or just happen to run into the “Could not find ramdisk image:/ubninit” error.
- If your machine is old you’ll likely need to turn off UEFI/EFI boot and put the BIOS into legacy USB Boot mode.
- In OS X using Disk Utility or Terminal wipe your USB key and reformat into a single partition with FAT32/MBR.
- Download DBAN’s latest .iso.
- Open Unetbootin on the Mac, choose the above .iso and hopefully your USB has mounted as /dev/disk2 or 3 or 4 or whatever to be set as the target destination.
- As taken from Stephen Greenhalgh’s DBAN USB Unetbootin Fix Post:
To fix this insert the USB drive back into a computer and open up “syslinux.cfg” in a text editor. Find and replace all occurrences “ubninit” with “ISOLINUX.BIN” and do the same with “ubnkern” with “DBAN.BZI”. Make sure that you match the case.
This worked for me using DBAN 2.3.0.