Oh the dream! You cannot just let it go. I swapped in C’s old 12GB (huge!) ATA 2.5″ laptop drive into the ‘ole Dell Inspiron 4000 and Windows 2000 booted up normally, ever so slightly faster than Windows XP SP3. This HD drive was from an even slower Dell that had died on me, something like 733 MHz. So now what?
- Install Foobar 9.4.5 (last version that runs under Windows 2000)
- Install foo_out_ASIO.dll legacy version 1.2.5 & or the Kernel Streaming component plugin
- Un-install all existing Quicktime and iTunes components
- Restart machine, download and install Multi-Plugin + iTunes 7.0.2
- Post installation disable all Quicktime and iTunes automatic updates
- Configure Foobar2000 for your ASIO or Kernel Streaming sound card
- Load iTunes library and listen to playback.